Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Dust My Blues

SOLD
11 x14
Oil on linen Board
 
I was in downtown Edenton yesterday looking for a parking place on Broad St. when I heard Folsom Prison Blues somewhere on the sidewalk near the benches. I looked to my left and caught sight of this fellow playing his black acoustic Fender as he sang the old Johnny Cash classic.  By the time I was able to circle back around an older lady had sat down beside him and he was now cranking out a blues'esque gospel hymn.  As she tapped her leg and hummed along he continued to smile and sing as the warm afternoon sun began to set behind him and the old buildings that lead the way to Edenton Bay.
 
With his guitar case open and dollar bills rustling the bottom like the autumn leaves on the street corner, this music man was as content as one could possibly be on an sunny October afternoon.  As he saw me walking towards him with camera in hand, the hymn rambled back into Folsom Prison again much like the way Waylon Jennings covers it. Perfect for me.