Thursday, January 8, 2015

Wave it Wide and High!


11 x 14 
Oil on Wood Panel
Commissioned Painting
SOLD

In the studio I love to listen to music while I paint. It especially helps in relieving the apprehension of starting a commission painting that involves subjects and/or compositions that I haven't tried before. It's a whole different animal painting a commission knowing there is an existing expectation from the buyer as to how the painting should turnout. My friends, Joel and Owen Williams, wanted to give their buddy Lin Spears a gift for being such a help in restoring their dad's Bertram.  Every year a group of Bertram owners have a "run"  called the Bertram Rendezvous.   Much like a motorcycle run with shiny hogs screaming down the road, it's actually perfectly restored Bertram 31's loaded down with revelers cutting through the sound chop towards Cape Lookout.  This painting is a reference from a picture of Joel and Owen's Sawdust tied to Lin Spears' Rapscallion  on one such Rendezvous a few summers ago 

With the music blaring loudly, I jumped head first into this commission, and as I started pushing paint, I noticed from my reference photo that both boats proudly had Old Glory flying from the transoms and outriggers.  With the rest of the world and all of its buffoonery flooding the news lately, I started to really see and appreciate what was going on in this scene. What a refreshment it was to see people actually proud of their country taking full advantage of what it allows that other counties do not - doing whatever in the hell you want, when you want,  with whom you want ,where you want and even on what boat you want for that matter. I couldn't help but skip through my song list to US Blues and turned it up a little louder - Wave that flag, wave it wide and high! Summertime done, come and gone. my oh my. 

The Sawdust and the Rapscallion
Cape Lookout