Thursday, July 1, 2010

Out to Pasture

SOLD
16x20
I guess Wanchese is one of a few places that a horse and an old crab boat can be put out to pasture together. A couple of weekends ago Venus and Mars must have been in alignment since miraculously my son did not have any baseball games and we were able to go to Nags Head. Saturday morning early I drove over to Wanchese wanting to take some pictures of some old boats I had seen a couple of years ago after going on a clamming trip with Beau Silver who had given me a local's tour around town afterwards. I stumbled upon this jewel of a scene trying to get to a canal I had remembered and stopped right there.  I did get some funny looks from a local gentleman walking by as I was snapping photos. I can only imagine what he was thinking - "Damn tourists act like they've never seen a horse before."  I couldn't help to notice his white rubber commercial fishing boots - what the "Wanchesers" deer hunting in Bertie County always called Wanchese bedroom slippers. Well now I had seen a Wanchese horse pasture and couldn't pass this one up.