Friday, April 13, 2012

Missy's Garden

16x20
Oil on Linen
SOLD

The Cupula House Association is hosting its first Plein Air Invitational where artists paint in the historic gardens of residences in Edenton.  I was able to get over there this afternoon and paint at the home of Missy Harell where her beautiful garden overlooks the mouth of Pembroke Creek, Edenton Bay and the Ablemarle Sound.  I didn't realize that this was an actual garden tour as well - much like Edenton's candlelight tour every year at Christmas where tourists visit the open historic homes in the town.  As I began my painting people began pouring in the garden  uhhing an and ahhing over the beautiful flowers and the wonderful view of the water and the boats passing by.  Not being prepared for a tour group to watch me paint as they had other artists at the other gardens, I was really having to focus to hold it together to try and make this one work. My hostess offered me lunch and the use of the facilities if I needed them. I joked and said that I thought of that on the way over being that this was going to my first plein air painting in town where I just couldn't walk behind a tree - much less a garden tour to boot. I guess khakis and a t-shirt wasn't the proper attire either, but just about that time a violinist entered the garden and played some classical piece while the group watched in awe.  This was a first for me! I enjoyed it though and what a beautiful place to paint in Missy's Garden.