Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Miss Mary's Felony Collards

11x14
Oil on Linen Board
 SOLD


A few years ago in the middle of the Fall, I was in my back yard weeding a collard patch that I had planted in the late summer. My neighbor, Roz Daly, who is an attorney, history buff, and avid reader often walks over to add a little spice to whatever I'm doing. My kids have been treated more than once to tall tales often filled with references to Faulkner, Harper Lee, and Joel Chandler Harris.  Even an occasional Chaucer quote may be hurled their way from time to time. 
This particular afternoon, it was my turn to digest one of Roz's classics as he walked down one of my rows and politely asked, " are these misdemeanor or felony collards?"
Not having one idea under the sun as to what he was talking about, I rested my chin upon my two hands holding the handle of my hoe, and gave Roz the inviting raised eye brow to commence with his explanation of these differing classifications of an Eastern North Carolina staple around this time of year.
Roz proudly tore the corner off of a leaf to use as a reference wand and went on to explain.  Back in the 1870's during Reconstruction all of Eastern North Carolina was under Federal Occupation and Martial Law was in full swing. Judges and District Attorneys had little to do as the Union Army often held court over criminal matters, yet some cases were referred to the local officials from time to time. One in particular involved a collard theft in Halifax County in which a young man had been convicted and given a felony. His defense attorney appealed the sentence and the felony classification to the North Carolina Supreme Court, and off to Raleigh they went.
With little else to do, the participants in this case went at it as if this were a capital murder trial.  Even the press started to follow it. After both sides rested their case, the presiding Judge asked if the collards had been stolen before or after the first frost.  It was told to him that the leafy vegetable was in fact stolen before the first frost. He then retired to his chambers to render a decision.
After an hour or so had passed, the Judge returned to the court room to hand down his findings. Since in fact the collards were stolen before the first frost could nip them to give them their famous sweet irreplaceable succulent flavor, it was the court's decision that the district's classification of the crime as a felony be overturned and that the crime be reinstated as a misdemeanor.

A few weeks ago, I passed by Miss Mary Pugh's on my way to Spruill Pasture Gun Club and couldn't help to turn around and drive up to see what kind of collards she had growing in her garden. Being that is was after the first frost and that no one can really grow them like she can,  I filled the back of my truck up with a few of Miss Mary's felony collards.
Mary Pugh
Indian Woods, NC
November 2012