Thursday, June 11, 2015

Dune Burger All The Way

11 x 14
Oil on Birch Wood
On display and for sale at Artsource Fine Art, Raleigh


I was headed back home from Nags Head a couple of weeks ago when out of the corner of my eye I caught a quick glimpse of this beauty headed south on the beach road. I wheeled in on a side road as quickly as I could, and within a few short minutes, I was right behind this classic 48' Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon (aka Surf Woodie) as it was pulling into Jennette's Pier. As the owner/driver took two tries to straight park this long antique in a modern day parking space, I quickly got out and introduced myself with my card as I asked if I could take some pics. 

The owner was very proud of his restored toy and had no problems at all with me drooling over it as I took snap after snap. I mentioned that it would be great if there was a long board on top, and he told me to go home and get mine if I wanted to put one on the roof for the picture. I told him that was ok and that I could work one in on my painting by memory. Only a Dewey Weber with the classic hatchet fin would suffice. I asked if there was anyway he could drive the woodie across the street to the Dune Burger for that would be the icing on the cake. Two beach classics in one pic. He told me to hop in. Man what a charge to ride in one of these - the undisputed King of highway surfing vehicles. 

Dune Burger
Nags Head, NC
2015